Sunday, June 6, 2010

Thoughts on weddings...

As usual, I have posted anything in several months. The reason for this are simple: I didn't have time. Over the past two semester in school I have pulled about 80 hours per week in classes, homework, service hours, and working so there hasn't been a whole lot of time left over and the time that was remaining I devoted to family and friends.

The impact of my lack of posting is that I have not had time to share some very wonderful news: I'm engaged! Yes, that's right- I'm getting married! I got to hear those wonderful words that every little girl (i.e: every little American girl) longs to hear: "(insert name here) will you marry me?" Most women answer yes immediately, but not me! All I could say was, "Are you serious?!?!?!?" I was so shocked that I couldn't really believe what was happening! I did eventually say "yes" and now we are happily engaged to be married early next spring!

Below is a picture of my engagement ring! It is absolutely perfect- the ring of my dreams!



I really can't wait to be married! I'm going to be a Mrs! I'm going to be a WIFE! Gosh, that's amazing and hard to believe! I feel like it was only yesterday that I was a very little girl dreaming of the beautiful white gown and walking down the isle to Trumpet Voluntary (by Clark).

Growing up, I used to accompany my Dad to some of the different weddings where he would play him trumpet. Dad still plays for weddings (and other events). It was there, as a little girl listening to her Daddy play his trumpet for the weddings of other people that I arrived as several conclusions:

1. No two brides are the same but every bride is beautiful.
2. My Dad plays trumpet better than anyone else in the WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD!!! Ok, this is a biased perspective because I am a Daddy's girl, but I've heard a LOT of people play trumpet and very few even come close to playing as well as my Dad!
3. Every bride should have Trumpet Voluntary played at her wedding.
4. I WILL have Trumpet Voluntary played at my wedding! Period!
5. I want to be a bride someday.

It is really mind blowing to think that I am a bride! I always thought that I would feel grown up when I would be planning my wedding, but the realist is that I do not. I feel like me, myself, as I have always felt... but now I am making some very grownup decisions.

All things considered, wedding planning is amazing and totally fun... most of the time. This is not to say that it isn't stressful at times- it is. But it is easier when you have good people around you reminding you that the most important thing is to get married. Truthfully, I am that "Princess Bride" and I always have been. I want the big wedding (I'm getting the big wedding) with the gorgeous gown and veil and shoes, the beautiful flowers, the music, the family and friends, etc. But all of this is not what makes a marriage. It is easy to get caught up in all the hype of wedding planning, but at the end of the road, all of the little details that seem so huge are just that, little details and as long as you are married, those little details do not matter to most people... and I have been told that on the day of the wedding, they don't matter to you either (I'll let ya know if that's how I feel on the wedding day; I'm sure it will hang true).

I honestly can't wait to marry David! I am so very, VERY blessed by God to have such a wonderful future husband! It's hard to believe that in less than 250 days I will be a married woman!

I am still in school; when I graduate from college, I will have a degree in Judaic Studies. This 99.9% of the time gets the following reaction: "Really!?! Wow... So what are you going to do when you graduate?" I tell you this because the other day I told someone the following: "I don't care. I'm getting married in the spring!" If only you could have seen the shock on her face- CLASSIC! I love it! At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do with a degree in Jewish studies, but I do know this: my God is faithful. He has shown His faithfulness to me over and over, and He will continue to show His faithfulness to me as David and I enter into the next chapter of our lives as individuals and our life as a couple.

I'm sooooooo excited I can't even begin to really explain it!!!!! Anyway, these are some of my thoughts on weddings and such!

SE

No comments:

Post a Comment