Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Radio Silence

Once again, I am realizing that I haven't blogged about anything in a while. To put it simply, life has been busy. How busy? Well... before bed tonight, I've still got to make my lunch for tomorrow and check the washing machine (I think there's laundry in it, but I'm not sure... scary) and while this alone isn't much, I always end up doing waaaay more stuff than I set out to do before bed. Sigh. I need to change that one, it's not me best habit.

Anyway, life has been busy. We are finally moved into our new apartment and we LOVE it!!! We are still in the process of making it look and feel "homey" but the truth is that home is where ever we are together so it doesn't really matter if there's stuff on the walls or curtains in the windows. However, we are in the process of painting, hanging art on the walls and putting curtains in the windows just because we like it that way. :) To be honest, we are liking these little projects. It's fun to put our own stamp on our new place and make it "ours".

Over these past few months, we have also been adjusting. Well, actually we've been doing that for nearly a year now. It all started when we got married (a year in less than a month!!!) cuz let's face it, marriage is wonderful but it is a life changing event. We survived my second to last semester of college, made it though a CRAZY hot summer and then the Husband went back to school while working full time and I went to work full time while I was in school. In December, I graduated with my BALS (Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies) with a concentration in Judaic (that would be Jewish) studies, and we moved into our new apartment (the day after graduation to be exact).

As we are walking through these life changes (marriage, school, job), I have found myself realizing that there is a lot of stuff that people don't tell you about growing up. No one tells you that you should pack ear plugs for your honeymoon in case one of you snores. No one tells you that you will randomly start crying for silly little reasons because you're exhausted after putting in an 80+hr week. No one tells you that making the switch from full time student to full time working professional is difficult.

To be honest, that last one has been the hardest for me these past few months. When you are a student, you don't really do the exact same thing 5 days of the week, it's usually Monday and Wednesday of Tuesday and Thursday, etc that have the same schedule. I now go to the same place 5 days a week for the same time. While this sounds like a "no duh" statement, it's a strange shift for someone who is coming out of college. Please understand, I'm not complaining. I am very grateful for my job and I know how blessed I am to have one, but this knowledge does not make the transition easy. I'm not sure that anything can really make the transition easy, I think it's just something each of us must walk through and process on our own.

I will admit, my processing of this hasn't been particularly graceful. I'm so very, very thankful to have a supportive husband, family and friends as I walk through all of this. It has not been easy and I don't think it is finished yet (I was in college for 4.5 years and didn't get used to it in 6 months) but I am finding ways to adjust and deal with officially being a responsible and productive member of society.

Wow... ok, sorry this blog post is so "humbug". In other news, a few of the ways I am learning to adjust to life change is to... reorganize my kitchen. Random, I know but it makes some thing easier and that makes everything easier. The next step of this process involves labeling all of my clear acrylic containers so that I'm not the only one who knows what's in it. Also, I am learning to sew with the sewing machine from my wonderful in-laws!
{photo from Singer}

 And I am working on my photography skills with my new camera!
{Image fromNikon}
Please note: my camera is NOT red. I love the color red but I have an aversion to oddly colored objects like cameras, kitchen and laundry appliances, etc. My camera is black. If you have a red or other colored camera, not offense is intended, this is purely my preference. :) 

Whew, I'm sure you're tried of reading this which is why I am about to go make my lunch for tomorrow. I hope your life is in less of a state of change than mine is currently. But if it's not, how are you dealing with it all? And if your life isn't changing quite as rapidly, what are some hobbies you are doing currently????

Oh! And I have been doing my Project 52- with pictures! Posts coming soon, so far so good and very yummy!!!!

Shannon 

No comments:

Post a Comment