Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Frozen Solid

Well, tonight's dinner was going to be homemade roasted chicken and vegetables. Please note the past tense of the verb "was"... Why am I using a past tense verb? Because my chicken is still frozen. That's right- frozen S-O-L-I-D!!!!

I like to buy meat when it is on sale and then freeze it in individual meal size portions (ex: I take 1 package of chicken breasts and put 2 breasts in each freezer bag for our next meal that calls for chicken breasts. I take English roasts and cut in half and freeze each half individually, etc.). Well, you can't exactly cut a whole chicken in half so I froze the whole thing. I put the chicken in the fridge two days ago so that it could thaw. Not wanting for the chicken to spoil, I was planning on cooking it tonight but as I was removing it from the plastic wrapper and preparing to rinse it, I came to the startling realization that my bird was still frozen.

Now, what do you do when your bird is frozen? Call your mother! This was a food 9-1-1 and my mother, the Food Queen, would surely have a solution! And what was that solution? Cook the chicken tomorrow and eat something else tonight.  Ok, I already knew that but I was hoping that there was another solution. The worst part was that I had prepped all the vegetables that I was going to roast with the chicken, which means that I had to do something with them.

What then are we having for dinner tonight? Rotisserie chicken from Kroger with homemade roasted vegetables and rice. Basically the same thing but I didn't get to roast my chicken like I had planned. I will be roasting it tomorrow but I will be using it in something rather than just as roasted chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment