Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More adventure than I planned on...

Do you ever have one of those days when end up with a little (or a lot) more than you bargained for? Well, today was one of those days. Let me explain. Every afternoon this week (except Monday), I have been babysitting for some friends, they have two wonderful little boys. Having grown up in a house with three younger brothers, I understand the need for little boys to have something to occupy their time (it can get a little messy and/or creative otherwise) and having an event or a place to go can be a good thing to keep them from going stir-crazy. Hence, I have been trying to have an outing/activity for a few hours each day this week. Today's outing was supposed to be the library. I love the library. The boys love the library (and they love being out of the house). However, this was not to be.

Not only did we not get to the library, but something rather unexpected happened: my car died. Yes, died. Died meaning there was the smell of something burning and smoke coming from under the hood. Praise the Lord I was able to get off the road and into a Walgreens parking lot safely. I then called my wonderful husband and dad, at which point they both said they were coming to get me and the boys.

In the meantime, the boys and I wandered around Walgreens and got something to drink (it was in the high 90's today). Once my Heros arrived, it was determined by my dad (who operates an auto repair shop) that the compressor in my airconditioner had seized up, causing the belt that controls the water pump to quit working thus making the water pump not work and the engine quit. Needless to say, I'm getting a new airconditioner in my car. (There has also been a noise under the hood, I was told it was probably a pulley or belt that was going bad and to keep an eye on it. In keeping with this, I had noticed that the noise seemed to be getting worse so I was planning on taking the car in next week when I could be without it for a day or so... guess I don't have to worry about it now.)

Through this whole ordeal, the boys were great! They were also very eager to announce to anyone who would listen that my car was broken- kids are awesome! In spite of the heat and a broken down car, today wasn't horrible. It has been stressful but not horrible. The fact that we could get off the road and into a parking lot without any injury or problems is a God thing (drivers around here aren't the best, to say the least). I am grateful, so very very grateful for His hand of protection and His grace for that situation.

So, how was your day? Did you have more adventure than you planned on? Have you a time when you knew God's hand was at work in your life, protecting you? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment